Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dastkar Inspirations

Do you like the design of my blog header background? It's based on the wonderful artwork of the artisans in the Dastkar cooperative in Ranthambore, Rajasthan.

(Sorry about this unclear pic, will post more when I find my stash saved in one of the computers!)

Block printed by hand...

and then stitched with love.

Ranthambore is famous for its tiger reserves and a beautiful Aman resort amongst other attractions. I found out about this Dastkar outlet, a real gem for home decor items from Lonely Planet as a responsible shopping recommendation. This cooperative provides employment for underprivileged women in the village, allowing the children to go to school with the income earned.

Can you hear the roars of the gentle tigers from this whimsical and colourful quilt?

I will share more on this trip to Dastkar Ranthambore in another post. This place has inspired me and I hope you will find out more about it or drop by one of its shops when you're in India!


share a little, or a lot! x

No comments: