Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Small Voice Within- World Vision

This is an edited post I wrote for World Vision Malaysia when I joined the Singapore branch as a full-time staff. I feel a little in a limbo lately, rereading my own words was a good reminder to march on. Well, if you needed some encouragement too...

*
Posted in Oct 2008.
Last month, I had a flashback of an incident that happened more than half a lifetime ago. Standing nervously in front of my class, I tried to explain how children were dying because of famine in North Korea and asked for donations.

That was probably the last and only time I tried to voice out for the needy. That gungho voice diminished to nothing more than a crumbled sound bite. This changed in 2003, when my name abruptly lengthened to become “Wong Sze Zen, That Miss Malaysia Girl”. Soon, the tiny hushed voice spoke up again to advocate for the plight of underprivileged children as a World Vision ambassador.


I get uncomfortable when people tell me they admire the "work" I do because truth is, I've done too little in exchange for the priceless life lessons.

I learned that we cannot just give a dollar to a hungry child when there is no food to be bought within a 100km radius of his village and the only mode of travel are his frail legs.

I learned that there is no use of a school and a complete set of books and stationery when a child is too sick from diarrhea to go to class.

I learned that there is no use in giving a plot of rice farm to a poor man, if the farm only gets water when it rains.

The concept of “Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime” became clear to me.

God so lovingly gave me back my voice. Search within, you will find that voice too. I hope you let it roar.

*
Well, that post is 2 years old and although I don't officially serve in World Vision anymore I still believe in doing our part. There are endless ways to help. To sponsor a child via World Vision, go to www.worldvision.org followed by your country url. Meanwhile, roar, baby, ROAR!

share a little, or a lot! x

No comments: